Urban Radio Nation - Radio & Sports Media News

Urban Radio Nation - Radio & Sports Media News
Click Here for the New Website
.

.

April 14, 2009

The Preset I'm Most Embarrassed About is...

The local "Movin'" station in the Philadelphia area is a station called "My 106.1" (WISX), and I'd have to admit it is one of my first tier preset stations. This station replaced Smooth Jazz 106.1 more than two years ago.

Now I know I'm not the typical radio listener, because PPM would have a difficult time keeping up with what I'm listening to at any moment during any particular quarter hour. If anyone was capable of causing that device to malfunction it would be me. So I do a lot of flipping around the radio dial.

Also I know for sure I'm least likely thought of as being the typical demo this station's executives are looking for in terms of appealing to their advertisers. They are seeking the listening ears of working, single or married White women age 25-54. But what I have stumbled upon is some listenable music on my car radio.

A typical hour at My 106.1 might sound like this. The songs with the asterisk*, I would definitely be pressing another preset station. But everything else would be OK.

Young MC - Bust A Move
Bell Biv Devoe - Poison
The Time - Jungle Love
Lauryn Hill - Doo Wop (That Thing)
Freda Payne - Band of Gold
Maxine Nightingale - Right Back Where We Started From
Cynthia & Johnny O - Dreamboy/Dreamgirl*
Brenda K. Starr - I Still Believe*
A-Ha - Take On Me*
Marvin Gaye - What's Going On
Jackson 5 - ABC
O'Jays - I Love Music
Mariah Carey - Fantasy
Ne-Yo - Miss Independent
T.I. f/ Rihanna - Live Your Life

Not bad, right? Could even work for an urban format with some upbeat articulate on-air personalities. When I first heard of this Movin' format, I was thinking "oh no" not another Jammin' Oldies format, but surprisingly this format works for me. I'm a little tired of the regimented, rigid formats on typical urban and urban ac stations. (The radio equivalent to the missionary position) Today's R&B and Classic Soul, quite frankly ballads put me to sleep; the 90's music station lacks variety without the Ol' Skool rap; and Hip Hop radio don't play no Q-Tip, Common, The Roots or Lupe, and I can't stand Soulja Boy, so tell 'em that. I even like Santogold and Raphael Saadiq, but I got to tune to public radio to hear them.

I know for sure that most Movin' formats across the country don't play the variety that My 106.1 plays, but for now it kinda works for me, except for the fact that it's a CLEAR CHANNEL station! Uggh!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add your comments to this post. You may comment anonymously.

Comments with links to other websites and with inappropriate language will not be published.



Please share this story on your social media pages. Thank you.


Click on Enter Comment to begin.

.
.
.


Thanks for reading this post. Add your comments below.

© 2023 UrbanRadioNation.com, All Rights Reserved

. Powered by Blogger.

Favorite Post Archives