Urban Radio Nation - Radio & Sports Media News

Urban Radio Nation - Radio & Sports Media News
Click Here for the New Website
.

.

April 22, 2012

Radio Personality Brian Carter of "Carter & Sanborn" has Died

Carter and Sanborn returned to the WDAS' airwaves in July 2010
hosting afternoons for the vacationing Michael Baisden Show
(pictured in center is Quiet Storm host Tony Brown)
Brian Carter, a 30 year radio vet passed away Sunday morning of a heart attack. He was 54.

Brian Carter, a Baltimore native began his radio career in his hometown. He became the first African American DJ there on the old Top 40 station B104 (WBSB). In the late 1980's and throughout the 90's, Carter along with Bill Simpson came together to form the hugely popular "Carter and Sanborn in the Morning" show in Philadelphia at WUSL Power 99. The "C&S" morning show became the anchor that launched the station to the heritage status it now enjoys in the radio industry. The show featured a cast of off-beat characters, all voiced by Sanborn, including wise-cracking horoscope reader Horace the Taurus, with Carter playing the voice of reason. The show also featured co-host CeCe McGee as 'The Skirt with the Dirt.' Towards the end of their run on Power 99, Wendy Williams joined the show in an effort to get her own radio career back on track after her firing from Hot 97. The show along with McGee was briefly revived in 2005 on WDAS FM, after that station was forced to drop Tom Joyner from its schedule. Carter worked at 92Q (WERQ) in the early 2000's and became a host on Sirius XM Satellite Radio. For the past  6 years he was the weekend midday host at 107.5 WBLS in New York City. He often said how great it was to work at the same station that was once home to the legendary Frankie Crocker.

Check out more pictures and video below:

A tribute from current and past staff at Power 99 WUSL radio via facebook

Colby Colb OM Radio One Cleveland, Former Morning Host of The Dream Team and host of the Radioactive show at Power 99:
-RIP a true radio legend Brian Carter. We had so many great conversations over the years, thanks for the support and positive encouragement. I recall one time at Power 99 morale was so low and we had a very tense staff meeting and Brian stood up with tears in his eyes and rallied the troops. He loved radio and will be missed.

Mikey Dredd, morning host at Power 99 -As a young dude coming home from college I got a job as a promotions assisiant at Power 99. One of the first people to take me under their wing was Brian Carter. He taught me the ups and downs wrongs and rights of the radio industry. He was so excited for me and Uncleo Uncleoo when we got the Morning show shift. He always told us to "remain humble" and "finish the job". ...RIP to the man who gave me the name "Mikey Dredd" who was a Friend, Mentor, Brother and a great person!!


Uncle O, morning host at Power 99 -I would like to send my condolences to my mentor and the reason I do and love radio RIP to Brian Carter formerly from the Carter and Sanborn show...he always told me to just finish the Job thx Carter love u bro I learned a lot from u and u will be missed


CeCe McGee, on-air personality at WPPZ Praise 103.9:  -R.I.P. Brian Carter, my brother and my friend. My heart is heavy and I'm at a loss for words. Nothing can explain the pain I feel right now. I am truly devastated. But I know you had a relationship with God and He needed you more. Sanborn and I will always love you.


Bill Simpson aka "Dave Sanborn" via station statement: -"Devastated beyond words at the loss of Brian Carter, the best radio partner on the planet and most importantly one of my dearest friends. I send my heartfelt condolences to his family and loved ones.”






4 comments:

  1. R.I.P. Brian Carter The song on the aircheck is the Biggie tribute song from Puffy and Faith Evans "Missing You" Brian Cater you will be missed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I started in radio sales and met the morning show I was shocked to find out that Dave Sanborn was actually named Bill Simpson, so when I had a minute and was talking to Brian Carter, I asked him what his real name was... he said "It's Brian Carter, you better learn to keep up young man, it's a fast business, LOl" R.I.P Brian Carter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After Georgie Woods and along with Tony Brown...There was Carter and Sanborn keepin it real in studio and in the neighborhoods...Remembering Carter... Jeff Lawrence on the Philly side

    ReplyDelete

Add your comments to this post. You may comment anonymously.

Comments with links to other websites and with inappropriate language will not be published.



Please share this story on your social media pages. Thank you.


Click on Enter Comment to begin.

.
.
.


Thanks for reading this post. Add your comments below.

© 2023 UrbanRadioNation.com, All Rights Reserved

. Powered by Blogger.

Favorite Post Archives